|No NOMAD Festival in 2008
Due to a lack of sufficient personnel in key organizing-committee positions, the Board of Directors of NOMAD, Inc. regrets to announce that there will be no NOMAD Festival in 2008. We will continue working to fulfill the purposes and objectives of NOMAD. Current NOMAD memberships remain valid and will help us meet those objectives.
We welcome your comments, questions, and suggestions.
Sincerely, the NOMAD Board of Directors
Alice Griffin, Chair
Fran Hendrickson, Vice-Chair
Tova Clayman, Secretary
John Mazza, Treasurer
Louise Foley, Records Officer
Kate Mahoney, Board Member At-Large
We will leave the NOMAD 2007 info on the site for the present.
The 2007 NOMAD festival will be Friday through Sunday, November 2-4, 2007, at the Wilbur Cross High School in New Haven, CT. Our annual festival of traditional music and dance features:
- A big Friday night dance and “meet the performers” concert
- Participatory dance sessions, including contras, squares, English country, international, and more
- Concerts of folk music from the US and around the world
- Musical instrument workshops
- Sing-alongs and song-swaps
- Dance performances
- Family song, dance, and craft activities
- Storytelling for kids and adults
- Handcrafts and folk bazaar with clothing, dancer’s gear, performers CDs, rare recordings not found elsewhere, instruments, music supplies, jewelry and more
- Hallway jams (and a place to check your instruments)
- Great food
- Much more
The festival is very kid friendly. For example, this year we’re introducing an extended hands-on craft area in the cafeteria.
Wilbur Cross High School is a beautiful school in the East Rock section of New Haven in the heart of the Yale community. It is readily accessible, less than a mile from Exit 6 of I-91. It is a modern, bright, spacious building with:
- Two large gyms for dancing
- A superb auditorium
- A chorus room, band room and lots of other excellent classrooms and musical spaces for concerts and music workshops
- A huge cafeteria for dining, socializing, jamming and a bright, open area for our folk bazaar
- Limited on-site parking, but a reliable shuttle service from a nearby lot
In other words, we have plenty of space and plenty of activities – Now we just need you!